Childrens Rooms - Decorating Ideas Where the Sky is the Limit!
When it comes to childrens rooms, your options are quite different from decorating adult bedrooms.
For kids, their bedroom is where they play games, read, listen to music, wrestle, display or hide prized possessions, day-dream, or just go to be alone sometimes.
Decorating childrens rooms offers a great opportunity for parents to display their playful side, for some family bonding, and a chance for children to be creative.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that the room should reflect the child’s personality, not the parents.
The first strategy for childrens rooms decorating is to talk to your children. Find out what activities and fantasies they enjoy, what their favorite color is, and what is unique about their personality that a theme can be built around.
Then work their interests into the design, and it will make your children feel comfortable, happy, and safe.
The second strategy for childrens rooms is to allow your child to help! Let them have a say about colors, picking out fabrics, and how they want to display their collectibles. The design should be flexible enough to accommodate their changing tastes, needs, and interests.
The third strategy for decorating childrens rooms is to make it multi-functional. Since children use their room for several different activities besides sleeping, the room should have several different areas.
These include a play area; a reading area; a space to play with friends that includes a radio, CD player, and a TV and VCR; a display area with a wall or corkboard for your child’s favorite photos and artwork; and finally, a place for shelving where they can display their collectibles, trophies, and other personal items.
The fourth strategy for childrens rooms is to keep in mind storage solutions. Containing the clutter will be one of your greatest challenges. Try shelving, large decorative wicker baskets, plastic see-through containers, and closets that contain plenty of shelving and racks.
The next point to keep in mind is window treatments. Keep them simple, and avoid long draperies. Shades, blinds, and shorter curtains are safer choices.
The fabric should be versatile, and patterns should be repeated in other items in the room, such as pillows, quilts, lampshades, bed ruffles, etc.
Next, consider lighting. A child’s room should include both task lighting for homework and reading, and soothing light for quieter times.
A nightlight is also important for childrens rooms if your child is not comfortable in the dark, and for safety reasons, so they can see their way to the bathroom at night.
It is easier to design childrens room if you limit the color choices and keep fabrics simple. Use wallpaper or paint to add color and texture. You can paint borders on the top edges of the walls, and clouds or stars on the ceiling.
It might be wise to make sure the walls of childrens rooms are washable, so if you are using paint, choose a semi-gloss or gloss finish. Kids love bright colors, but you should stick to one wall for any strong color.
For example, paint one wall fire-engine red, and the others a soft peach or pink.
As far as themes go, there are endless ones to pick from. Make sure your child is the final decision-maker!
Here are just a few ideas for decorating childrens rooms: firehouse fun room, starry night, angels, rainbows, unicorns, baseball, a bedroom for a princess, underwater scenery, outer space, race cars, airplanes, trains, jungle motifs, wizards and dragons, and dinosaurs.
One of the easiest ways to quickly get rolling with a theme is by hanging a few related posters. You'll find some very inexpensive ideas by clicking on these links...
With some planning, you can create a decorating scheme that will last from infancy into adolescence.
Recommended Reading for Home Decorating Ideas - Books
(1) *NEW* The Awaken Your Interior Designer! Collection- Brought to you by Home Decorating Made Easy, this first of its kind collection of interactive guidebooks, filled with tons of home decorating ideas, is guaranteed to help you decorate any room in your home easier and faster than ever before. Create unique and inspiring rooms without spending lots of money.
(2) Big Brother Computer Monitoring Software
Easy-to-use software will monitor your child's computer activities including: Instant Messages, Chats, Emails, Web Site URLs and much more while undetected from the user. Not only do you see what your child types online, but what is said back to them as well. It monitors both incoming and outgoing activity - no other program offers this feature! Click here for complete details
More Articles on Decorating Childrens Rooms
(1) Affordable Window Treatments for Kids Rooms
(2) Kid Bed - What to Look For
(3) Ideas for Selecting Kid Furniture
(4) Painting Childrens Rooms - Fun and Easy Tips
(5) Kids Bedroom Furniture: What to Keep in Mind
(6) Childrens Bedrooms: Make Safety a Priority!
(7) Great Ideas for Painting Kids Rooms
(8) Childrens Rugs: You Have MANY Choices!
(9) Decorating Kids Rooms - Planning Makes Perfect!
(10) Ideas for Making a Kid Bedroom a Comfortable Retreat!
(11) When Decorating a Kid Room, Don't Forget the Kid!>
(12) How to Size Up a Child Bed
(13) No Child Furniture, But Need Storage Ideas?
14) Affordable Child Bedroom Furniture Solutions!
(15) Child Bedding Ideas for Kids Who Share One Room
(16) Creative Kids Bedding Ideas
(17) Childrens Bedding - Be Sure to Consider These "BIG 3" Factors Before Making a Decision
(18) Creative Concepts In Childrens Furniture
(19) Youth Bedroom Furniture Reinvented
(20) Kid-Inspired Kids Bedrooms
(21) Girls Bedding - You'll Find Great Choices Online!
(22) Boys Bedding - Transform Your Kids Room into a Sanctuary He’ll Love
(23) Toy Storage - Ways to Organize Your Child's Room
(24) Storage Shelves for Kids Rooms Make Cleaning Up a Fun Experience
(25) Sibling Sharing Bedroom - How To Decorate Effectively
(26) Kids Furniture - Shop Online for Great Deals!
(27) Wallpaper And Borders - A Great Way to Decorate Kids Rooms Walls
(28) Wallpaper Borders - Improve the Look of Kids Rooms Walls
More Articles on Decorating Childrens Rooms
(1) Quality Bedroom Fashions at Discount Bedding Prices
(2) Finding the Right Tropical Bedding Coordinates
(3) Pirate Decor - Even Blackbeard Would Be Proud!
(4) Beach Decor Makes Decorating a Breeze!
(5) Childrens Bedroom Furniture That Is Made Safe and Creates Space
(6) Kids Bedroom Sets How to Choose the Right Pieces
(7) Toddler Bedroom Furniture - Safety First
(8) Girls Bedroom Furniture - Different Options Await You and Her!
(9) A Dollhouse Bookcase - Something Special for Your Little Girl
(10) Kids Computer Desk - How to Choose the Right One
(11) Nature Posters - Decorate Your Kid's Room Like the Great Outdoors
(12) Stock Posters - A Great Addition to Any Kid's Room
(13) Animal Posters - Decorate on the Wild Side!
(14) Stock Poster Art - Easy and Fun Decorating for Kids
(15) Horror Movie Posters Makes Decorating a Kid's Room a Real Scream!
(16) Happy Bunny Poster - Adding Character to Your Child's Bedroom
(17) Star Wars Posters - A MUST for the room of a Star Wars fan!
(18) Car Posters - A Great Way to Rev Up Your Kid's Room!
(19) Firetruck Prints - The Perfect Addition to a Nursery or Toddler's Room
(20) Harry Potter Posters - Add a Magical Touch to Any Kid's Room!
(21) Tropical Bedding - Turn Your Kid’s Room Into a Vibrant Paradise!
(22) Bedding for College Dorm - How to Keep It Simple!
(23) Seashell Bedding - Create a Room Designed with Ocean Treasures
(24) NFL Home Bedding Accessories - Score a Touchdown With Your Kids!
(25) Childrens Murals Will Infuse Life Into Your Kids Room!
(26) Kids Murals Are An Excellent Way to Decorate Your Kid's Room!
(27) Wall Murals for Children - Decorating Ideas
(28) Create the Perfect Disney Princess Room
(29) Kids Bedroom Accessories - Add Character To A Kids Room
I hope these ideas for decorating childrens rooms have been helpful. Click here to return to the home page for more great ideas for decorating kids rooms.